On October 25, 1910, Denison Bank & Trust recovered a foreclosure judgment against R. M. Harris and secured the high bid at the county sheriff sale in the amount of $5,000.
On September 9, 1915, the Tishomingo Masonic Lodge signed a contract with the Denison Trust Co. to purchase the upstairs portion of the building for $2,500.
On August 1, 1916, Tishomingo citizens voted 164 to 68 to purchase the lower portion of the building for $2,500. It was used as a city hall, jail and fire station for many years.
In 1970, citizens of Tishomingo desired to preserve the original log Chickasaw Council House, so the Johnston County Historical & Genealogical Society was organized.
In 1974, the bank portion of the R. M. Harris building was loaned to the Johnston County Historical & Genealogical Society by the City of Tishomingo for a museum. A grant provided restoration of the bank teller portion of the building and covered other maintenance problems. Members painted the entire area.
The Tishomingo Masonic Lodge deeded the upper portion to the society in 1995. A grant was awarded for the society to make the upper portion into usable space. In 1999, members painted the stairwell portion of the building.
The Chamber of Commerce moved to new facility in 2001. The City of Tishomingo loaned this portion of the building to the society. The two lower rooms, left of the stairwell, were converted into a gift shop and Victorian tea room. The City of Tishomingo later deeded the entire lower portion of the building to the society in 2001. The society immediately made a doorway connecting to the tea room and created the genealogical research room.